Thursday, August 23, 2007

Too Easy


Today I ran my second Key Workout.

Surprisingly, I'm not dead. In fact, I feel pretty damn good.

This is the first time I've been excited for an exercise program. Usually I'll be motivated for a day or two, and then realize that working out means getting up early and not eating the foods I want.

But this morning I felt so good that I can't help but get excited.

I started out with a light jog to the running track, about three quarters of a mile away.

I ran two miles at an easy 8:46 pace, which will be my pace for the marathon this December. I actually felt like I could run faster for this portion of the training, but I wanted to pace myself.

Next I sped up, moving to a 7:54 mile. I ran one mile at exactly this pace, feeling a little bit tired as I rounded the curve. On the second 7:54 mile, I felt lighter, almost better than before. I didn't realize I was speeding up until I looked at my watch.

I ran the fourth mile in 7:30.

I slowed down, returning to my 8:46 pace for the last two miles of this six mile run. After the final lap, I jogged home, making the whole trip about seven miles, or just over a quarter marathon.

And what freaks me out is how good I feel right now. I've had endorphines after a workout before, but this is great. And the idea of running a marathon is starting to seem less scary than before.

Today I feel like a champion. Granted, we have a big run on Sunday, and that could make or break this regiment.

No comments: